Things Cops Know
(and YOU should understand)
Unfortunately I lost the source information for these statements.
I wish I had it to give credit where credit is due. - ipl
- High-speed chases will always proceed from an area of light traffic
to an area of extremely heavy traffic.
- The speed at which you respond to a fight call is inversely
proportional to how long you've been a cop.
- If a large group of drunk bikers is holed-up in a house, the
department will send one officer in a beat car. If there is one
biker holed-up in a house, they will send the entire S.W.A.T. team.
- Domestic arguments will always migrate from an area of few available
weapons (living room), to an area with many available weapons (kitchen).
- The better you do your job, the more likely you are to be shot,
injured, complained on, sued, investigated or subpoenaed on your day off.
- The longer you've been a cop, the shorter your flashlight and your
- The bigger they are the harder they fall. They also punch, kick and
choke harder too.
- Watch out for the CSI effect. There is no machine that we can drop an
eyelash into and come up with the DNA profile, fingerprints and mugshot
of the owner in 2 minutes.
- When you see an emergency vehicle behind you with its lights and
sirens on: pull to the RIGHT, and Stop. We are usually required to pass
cars on the left.
- When a civilian sees a blue light approaching at a high rate of speed
he will always pull into the lane the cop needs to use.
- Dunkin' donuts has much better coffee than they do donuts.
- When you're driving in the fast lane and you see a cop behind you
don't, go 5 mph's under the speed limit. We are not impressed by how
safe of a driver you can be, we're trying to go help someone (or catch
that guy in the SUV that just cut you off). Safely move over and let us
pass by you, please.
- If you get a warning instead of a ticket from a motorcycle cop...go
buy a lottery ticket, because you've already beaten the odds.
- When you see an officer conducting a traffic stop, (or with a suspect
in handcuffs) it is generally not a good idea to approach him/her and
ask for directions. If you do, don't expect the officer to be nice when
he/she tells you to get lost, and don't expect the officer to take the
time to explain.
- If a cop causes a car accident we usually get a ticket, and sometimes
we get suspended. When is the last time you got 3 days off (without pay)
for rear-ending a guy at Wal-mart.
- If you think you can fan all the pot smoke out of the car before we
smell it, good luck.
- We know you've had more than 2 beers. I've never had two beers and
driven my car through the front doors of a Toys-R-Us, wet my pants, and
passed out with my foot on the gas.
- Here's how to get out of a ticket, don't break the law!
- If you drive a piece of junk car; this is why you're getting pulled
In one week I pulled over 10 cars for "minor" equipment
- 8 out of 10 had no vehicle insurance,
- 7 out of 10 had suspended drivers licenses,
- 5 out of 10 had warrants, 2 out of 10 had felony warrants,
- and 1 out of 10 was a known sex offender with his 12 year old
niece in the car without her mothers knowledge.
- Of the 2 out of 10 that didn't have any other violations, one was
given a "fix-it-ticket", and the other was given a warning. (if you
are trying to do the math many had multiple violations)
- If you've just been pulled over doing 70 in the 35 Do Not greet the
officer with "what seems to be the problem, officer."
- We get coffee breaks too, and sometimes we run into stores and do
some shopping during them.
- When you're the victim of a burglary take the time you spend waiting
for the officer to find the model #'s and the serial #'s of the stuff
that was taken.
- If a uniformed officer knocks on your door DO NOT answer the
door with a gun in your hand or in a holster, at your waist!
- Some cops are just jerks, but take heart in the fact that other cops
don't like them either.
- If it's nighttime and you're driving a vehicle with tinted windows
and I pull you over. It's not because of your skin color, I usually
can't tell if the vehicle even has a driver until the windows rolled
- Cops make mistakes, and sometimes they're big mistakes.
- Some cops are bad, and sometimes they're real bad.
- Every time you hear on the news about people running away from a
crazed gunman, someone's son or daughter in a blue or brown uniform is
running TOWARD that crazed gunman.
- City cops don't like the highway patrol, and vice versa.
- Yes it's true, cops usually don't give other cops speeding tickets.
Think of it as an employee discount, and unless you're a habitual
speeder all you ever get is a fine.
- If your local police agency has a helicopter everyone knows it's loud
and annoying, but did you know it can cover the same area as 15-20
patrol officers, and safely chase criminals that are driving 90 MPH
through city streets. Many times the guy has no idea it's there and
- Your 5 year old kid getting pushed down by another 5 year old kid
IS NOT a police matter, talk to the other kids parents.
- If your kid won't do his homework or do his chores, 911 is not the
answer for a uniformed second-string parent.
- If you hit your spouse in front of your children, your children will
hit their spouse in front of their children.
- Police work is. . . . . . writing reports.
- If you rob a gas station you're only going to get $20, but I get to
see a large K-9 dog use your arm as a chew toy. For all I care you can
keep the $20.
- In 1 year of patrol work in a large city only about 10 mins. would be
cool enough to be on the television show, COPS. But if COPS was about
report writing and accident reports each show would be a year long.
- Every traffic stop could end in gunfire, but we have to be
polite and professional until that time.
- I've taken about the same amount of men/women to jail for domestic
violence, so NO it's not always the man.
- People love fire fighters.
- Attention Victims: I need to know the WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, and
HOW. Not what meds you're on or what your 15 cats have peed on.
- Some cops don't like to be called cops I don't know why, but most
don't care -- we've been called worse.
- If you find crack pipes in the ladies purse, there is a good chance
they belong to her.
- Cops know you pay taxes and that your taxes pay cops' salaries. Cops
also pay taxes, which also pay cops' salaries so, hey, this traffic
stop is on me. Now sign here; press hard.
- And a Variation On The Above ---
Irate Offender: My tax money pays your salary, so you work for me!
LEO: I pay taxes, too, so I figure I'm self-employed.
- When you see an officer walk into the room, a polite greeting of
"Hello, how are you?" is much more appropriate than, "Uh-Oh Jim, it
looks like they're here for you!" or putting your arms up and
exclaiming, "I didn't do it!" It will surely save you from looking like
an unoriginal horse's [tail].
- If there are police cars, firetrucks, or ambulances at your neighbor's
house then there is a problem. You don't need to meddle into your
neighbor's business by asking us what's happening. Your curiosity, no
matter how strong, is not a reason violate your neighbor's privacy. If
it's something that YOU need to worry about, we would've knocked on
your door and told you.
- Remember that you and I enjoy the benefits of Constitutional rights.
And so does the guy you suspect of stealing your stuff. No, I can't go
search his house for your property just because you suspect he might be
- No, I don't know your cousin who's a police officer in (fill in
location anywhere in the US)
( IOW We Don't All Know Each Other)
- If I can see a 12 year old in your house finishing a beer bong I
don't need a warrant.
- If you don't know what the speed limit in your neighborhood is what
makes you think it's 65.
- If a neighborhood association asks for police to start ticketing in
their neighborhood, one of the first five ticketed is on the board.
- When you're blocking an area to traffic (both foot and vehicle),
"No, you can't go that way" doesn't mean, "You're special, so by all
means, go ahead."
- If an officer is standing in front of you with his hand outstretched,
waving furiously at you, plus he's yelling for you to "Stop", it's
usually a good idea to do as he asks. Please don't keep driving towards
the officer (as happened to me the other night).
- Flares + cruiser parked at an angle = Place you can't go, even if
it's a ramp to the interstate.
- Don't run from the police and then attempt to hide in a warehouse.
Especially don't do this if the officers tell you that the dog is going
to be let loose, as this will generally result in you being used as a
chew toy AND the dog winning. They really leave some pretty nasty marks,
by the way.
- Stop resisting means exactly that. Don't say "I'm not resisting" as
you throw a punch at the officer's face.
- Just because you're handcuffed doesn't mean you won't go on the
ground if you attempt to assault an officer. We don't even make
exceptions for pregnant women who bite us, either.
- Did you really think I wasn't going to find that large lump of crack
you got clenched in your butt? Come on, it's either the world's
largest 'roid, or you got something you ain't supposed to have.
- If they tell you they borrowed the jacket from a friend, just before
you search it, they've got something, and it's still gonna be their
- For some reason, you think I'll believe it when you tell me that you
don't know how it got there. (see above)
- Stopping a green man in a blue shirt and pink pants a block away from
an armed robbery when the suspect description is a green man in a blue
shirt and pink pants. . . . .IS NOT racial
- Just because you have your hazard lights on, doesn't mean it is okay
to park in the fire lane and run into the store. Even if you really
- No I will not go get your 6 year old from their friends house,
because it is 1:00am and you don't want to drive 3 minutes. Maybe you
should set a curfew, and enforce it. I am not a bad police officer,
you're a bad parent.
- And Last but not least: 99% of Police Officers do their job honestly
and with great pride, we try to do our job well. Often we have to work
in environments where we are the only ones that have to follow the
rules. A veteran Sergeant told me on my first day of patrol
"when you wear that uniform everything you do is a liability."
We do make mistakes and due to the nature of the job sometimes they
have horrible results. Sometimes minor mistakes cost Police Officers
their lives, at a rate of 1 every 50 hours.