The following instructions apply to all ECom operators!
Everyone MUST ensure that all assignments, delegation
and hand-overs are done with explicit statement of intent
and explicit statement of acceptance. The most likely
problems will occur when duties are assigned/accepted implicitly.
If ALL assignment, delegation, handovers, acceptance etc. are
explicit, the potential mis-understandings are minimized or eliminated.
A good technique to ensure understanding is to repeat
what you understand the order or instruction to be. This will expose
errors before they can become a problem.
Event Check List
The following are YOUR responsibilities for every
emergency and many exercise events. Remember that during an emergency
you will either be part of the solution, or you will become part of
- Before you leave your house, you should:
- Review your assignment to ensure you understand what is expected
of you for this specific assignment.
- Incident type, name and designation
- Incident check in location
- Reporting time
- Anticipated length of stay
- Travel instructions
- Update your "go-bag" with needed items not normally stored
- Prepare clothing and food, sufficient to handle the anticipated
length of stay at your assignment.
- Review communication procedures as necessary
- Ensure that your family knows how to contact you while you are at
- Review transportation requirements - to and from the assignment
- On departure from your house, check in with the
staffing net to let them know you are in route to your
- On arrival:
- Check in at the staging area so the served agency records
reflect your help.
- Determine where/when the event briefing will be (ASK!)
- Notify the staffing net that you are going to the
- Check in with operations NCS to let them know you are available.
- Perform the duties assigned in a manner consistent with good safety
procedures and good Ham techniques.
This will include:
- Monitor work progress.
- Provide your supervisor with appropriate status updates and
notification of any problems that may arise.
- Keep a good log of your station activities!
- Once your assignment is complete AND prior to departing you
- Complete your work assignment
- Brief your subordinates on demobilization
- Complete event paper work
- Brief your replacement as applicable
- Follow incident check out procedures. This means:
- Check out where you checked in (if at all possible)
- Notify Operations NCS of your departure
- Notify the Staffing Net you are checking out from your assignment
and going home.
- Upon arrival at your house, check out with the
This ensures the event staff have full accounting of your safety
and location while you work any event.